Average Age of Applicants for Admission to Harvard College Is Lower--Larger Percent of Entrants From Private Schools

That the average age of applicants for admission to Harvard College is becoming lower as well as the age of the candidates actually admitted was made known yesterday at University Hall. The average age of men admitted under the old plan, 18.47, is lower than that of those refused admission. 18.70, Candidates of the latter plan who are refused admission, however, are generally younger than old men who fail. Those admitted on the highest seventh plan are considerably younger than either of the other classes, with an average age of 17.72 as compared with 18.46 for the old plan and 18.43 for the new.

As was the case last year, a larger percent of men entering came from private schools and tutors than from the public schools. A larger percent were refused admission from the public schools than the private institutions. On the other hand over 92 percent of those admitted under the highest seventh plan came from public school.

According to the figures given our at the same time on the geographical distribution of the Freshman Class. Massachusetts and New York send the greatest number of students to the college, having 482 and 146 enrolled respectively. Then come Pennsylvania with 53. New Jersey with 45 Ohio 40, Connecticut 29. Illinois 25, Maine 14, New Hampshire 13, and District of Columbia, Minnesota, and Missouri 12 each.