NAUMBERG ROOMS STORED AWAITING DISPOSAL BY FOGG

Portraits by Rembrandt and Hals are on Display--Works of Murillo and El Greco Also Shown

The Naumberg rooms, a gift during the past year to the Fogg Museum, have been moved from New York to Cambridge, it was announced yesterday by officials of the Museum.

This bequest, which includes several English panelled rooms of the sixteenth century as well as the contents of these rooms, was made to Harvard last spring by Mrs. Aaron Naumberg of New York, who with her husband was for a number of years an interested collector of the Fine Arts. The furnishings of the rooms comprises a fine tapestry, paintings, furniture, rugs, textiles and minor objects of art.

Of chief interest to the University at the present moment are the tapestry and paintings, which are now on exhibit at the Museum. The tapestry, which exemplifies a type of weaving and design not previously exhibited in the permanent collection here, probably was worked in the first quarter of the sixteenth century. It is of Flemish origin.

Among the paintings, all substantial additions to the Fogg's collection, is Rembrandt's "Portrait of an Old Man." This valuable portrait was formerly in the collection of the Duke of Oldenburg. Hanging on the same wall is a "Portrait of a Preacher of Holland" by Franz Hals, a striking contrast to the Rembrandt in its breadth. Both pictures add examples of the Dutch School which up until this time have not been represented in the Fogg Museum collection except by occa- Family" by Murillo, as well as one of the many versions of El Greco's subject, "Christ Driving the Money-Changers from the Temple." Several Italian primitives and other Flemish and Dutch works are also included in the bequest.

The rooms themselves have been dismantled, and are in storage in Cambridge, where they will remain until such time as they may be placed permanently in the Fogg Museum collection. The generous terms of the donor's will have provided that the installation shall not necessarily be accomplished for several years, the more generous in that it allows the directors and the architects to formulate a wise inclusion of the collection without undue pressure. In the meanwhile, the objects contained in the rooms, a few of which are on display at the Museum now, are to be stored or exhibited until such time as they shall be reassembled in their original state.

A monetary provision has also been made for the necessary construction and also for the care of the collection