WRESTLING CANDIDATES TO BEGIN TOURNAMENTS

ABOUT 65 MEN ARE EXPECTED TO COMPETE

An elimination tournament for University wrestling candidates and one for freshman candidates will begin tomorrow in the New Gymnasium. By means of this tournament Coach Gallagher hopes to unearth any talent that has escaped his attention thus far and to select teams to represent the University and the Freshmen.

Approximately 35 University candidates and 30 Freshmen who have been practicing and rounding into condition for the past few weeks, will compete in the first round. Coach Gallagher anticipates some close matches, especially in the 145-and 155-pound classes, which are especially crowded with able grapplers.

H. R. Elsas '32, W. A. Robertson '31 and D. J. Orgain '31, members of last year's University team will compete in the 145-pound, 155-pound, and 175-pound classes respectively. Elsas will meet D. B. Dorman '32 and Robertson will meet D. A. Fuss '32, in the first round. Orgain's opponent has not been drawn yet.

P. O. Johnson '33, captain of the Freshman team last year will meet R. E. Irwin '33, and O. E. Goddard '33, another member of last season's first year team will meet W. F. Jenks '32.

The group of Freshmen who are entered are for the most part unknown, but there are hopeful prospects among the 30 candidates, Gallagher says.

The tournament will go through to the finals this week. The finals will be held over until after the holidays and they will take place in the New Gymnasium on January 7 and should attract a large audience.