Students Have Access Through Consultant on Careers to One Thousand Men Glad to Talk About Their Field of Work

One hundred and fifteen Seniors, 31 Juniors, 11 Sophomores, 7 Freshmen, and 10 graduate students have visited Wadsworth House to seek aid in deciding upon a life's work, it was revealed yesterday by A. L. Putnam '20, University Consultant on Careers.

The purpose of the consultant, Putnam explained, is to aid the undergraduate in discovering his ambitions and the whys and wherefores of them, to inform him what type of work each of 7000 careers involves, and to establish connections between him and his future possible employers.

"In our office on the ground floor," the consultant pointed out, "is a file which is at the service of all members of the University. Through it he can be put in touch with any of 1000 men who will talk with him about their work. It includes 100 questionnaires which have been answered by men in various walks of life. A lawyer whose task is setting released criminals straight again, for example, has told what he did during each half hour for two weeks, with a detailed description of the cases he handled daily.

"We have similar studies of the life patterns of many men, successful in many careers, gathered largely during the past summer. We have studies from political candidates, from a doctor called at 2.30 in the morning to a patient dead in the bath tub, and from all sorts and conditions of business and professional men."

The fact that 60 per cent of the Senior class last year were undetermined on first consulting in Wadsworth House, and that more than one-half of the Class of 1930 are not now doing the work they set out to do, has lead the University to put increasing faith in early consultations. "We in the consultant's office feel," Putnam explained, "that school life, and graduate life are all part of a career the span of life, and that what ever may be on a man's mind whether it be about clubs, athletics, managerial or literary efforts, work, summer occupations, and so forth, is a question which we should be able to help him answer.