WHITING RESIGNS FROM LONG MUSICAL CAREER

PROFESSOR HILL NEGOTIATING FOR OTHER GROUPS

According to an announcement made yesterday by E. B. Hill '74, professor of Music, the Arthur Whiting series of expositions of chamber music will not be given this year, or in future years.

This series of concerts given each year in Paine Music Hall at Harvard, and at several other Eastern colleges have had to be discontinued because of the retirement of Arthur Whiting, planist, and manager of the series.

For over twenty years Mr. Whiting, now over seventy years of age, has been giving these expositions of music which afforded members of the University an opportunity of hearing chamber music seldom played today.

Professor Hill is at the present time negotiating with other quarters that might possibly take the place of Arthur Whiting's groups but there is little possibility of any such concerts being given this winter.

Associated intimately with Mr. Whiting and his concerts was George Barrere, who never failed, year in and year out, to perform on his famous flute with a perfection known only to the foremost flutists of history. And just as intimately associated as Mr. Whiting was the Gluck Melodie which he rendered every year with ever increasing freshness and variety.