IN THE NIGHT CLUBS

Once there were two Scotchmen, or rather a Scotchman and a Scotch woman: now there is George C. MacKinnon. George has a nerve of iron when the returns are in gold or silver. He tells, among many stories of adventure for profit. of how he spent a morning in a cage of twenty tigers just to win a small bet. According to him these beasts had a manslaughter record which would send a gang of Chicago handiest to Sing for life. Among other things, having killed many into whose charge they had been put including one very beautiful and famous lady-trainer.

The tigers, however, did not better their record at George's expense, as he now occupies his evenings at the Silver Slipper where he directs an all girl revue. This is another of the daring adventures which keep his pocket book filled. In fact he is the only newspaper man in this puritanical section of our country who has had the courage to take a job as an entertainer at a night club.

It is a happy combination, the arts of revue directing and journalism. For he not only puts on a very enjoyable show but also keeps the guests of the Silver Slipper in a carefree spirit of laughter with his witty remarks, most of which have the added charm of spontaneity.

One of George's co-entertainers is Alyee Siemens a charming girl who like most of the feminine sex, devoutly believes in fortune telling. She has a sense of humor and a pair of dark eyes, however, which would make any such weakness seem an asset.

Altogether we think the Silver Slipper is an exceedingly pleasant haunt, so pleasant that we were inclined to forgive George for committing the sacrilege of singing a version of "My Bill" to a tired looking air deal pup which he brought out on the dance floor.

Paul Rush has a smile which is almost as brilliant as the shining black and gold draperies that cover the walls of the Rendezvous where he is master of ceremonies. One wonders if Paul's ears would stay struck to his head should by mischance this broad gleam of jollity be clouded by a serious mood. Anyway, it is hoped that such a tragedy will never happen because if he and his wife are always in accord as they are when doing tap dances, there will never be a necessity for anything but smiles.

Mrs. Rush went to Emerson College, where she met her husband during her junior year. He influenced her to share a theatrical life with him. Since then they have been roaming from coast to coast doing all kinds of work. Once in the hey day of the Charleston they picked up a job of the way to lunch, when on hearing some music suitable to this dance issuing from a stage door, they went in and showed a whole chorus how it ought to be done.

One of the best dancing teams resettle seen is that of Renarto and Rita They do a Walt which although acrobatic has all the gentle rhythm and smoothness so often lacking in that dance when modernized. They also have tango which Rita says is the same as that done is Rudolph Valen tine in the "Four Horseman" Having failed to see the former movie king in this picture , one can not make a deunite comparison, but the odds would seem to be on Renarto and Rita.

Speaking about adventures some of Renarto's are far from tame. He came to this country at the age of fifteen On the night of his arrival he left his shoes on the fire escape: in the morning he had to walk bare-footed to the nearest shoe store. Later when he joined the array, he found out that talking after taps even on Sundays means a stay or two in the guard house The worst of it was that he did not understand the Sergeant the first time and therefore got a double dose.