UNIVERSITY FOILSMEN OVERWHELM ENGINEERS

NEXT MATCH TO TAKE PLACE WITH NEW YORK UNIVERSITY

With the fencing room in Hemenway filled to its capacity yesterday the University foilsmen overwhelmed M. I. T. 14 to 3 in the first dual meet of the year. Harvard clinched the victory by its performance in the foils, completely shutting out the engineers in this part of the meet 9 to 0. Captain H. B. Wesselman '31, who recently won the New England Junior Championship in foils and epee, allowed his opponents with the foils a total of only five points. With the sabres the M. I. T. squad seemed almost as weak as in the foils, losing three out of four bouts. The honors in the epee were equally divided, with each man winning and losing once.

The next match for the University team takes place on February 21 when the squad will travel to New York to cross swords with New York University. The following day the team will go on to Philadelphia to meet the University of Pennsylvania.

The summary:

Foils: Wesselman defeated Deake (M. I. T.), 5-1, Shellard (M. I. T.), 5-2, and Giacomo (M. I. T.), 5-2. H. C. Cassidy '31 defeated Deake (M. I. T.), 5-1, Shellard (M. I. T.), 5-4, and Giacomo (M. I. T.), 5-4, J. D. Allen, Jr. '31 defeated Kennedy (M. I. T.), 5-2, and Giacomo (M. I. T.), 5-3. J. J. Mackin '32 defeated Deake (M. I. T.), 5-0.

Epee: F. C. Fiechter, Jr. '32 deefated Deake (M. I. T.), 1-0. Mackin defeated Pentler (M. I. T.), 1-0. Deake (M. I. T.), defeated Mackin, 1-0. Pentler (M. I. T.) defeated Fiechter, 1-0.

Sabre: W. M. Wing '31 deefated Giacomo (M. I. T.), 5-2. R. B. Lawson '32 defeated Kennedy (M. I. T.) 5-3. L. C. Winter '31 defeated Giacomo (M. I. T.) defeated H. B. Veatch '32, 5-3.

Director--Righeimer. Judges--Galewski and Shulsky.