TIGHTENING UP

A general survey of the Business School appearing elsewhere in this issue shows a rapid growth of applicants in that post-graduate field proportionate to the expansion in the other branches of the University. As a natural result of this growth, a less haphazard, more studied choice of students is to be made as the first year class must be limited to six hundred. Therefore, this year's aspirants to the world of big business will be judged more closely. this special emphasis on character and former training is the natural outgrowth of the expansion of any institution not only because elimination on those grounds perfects the label on the finished product, but also because the larger the number of students the larger is the teaching staff and equipment required. There is only a limited amount of first rate teaching; an indefinite increase in the student body must therefore lower the standard of scholarship.

That this fact is realized is readily seen in all branches of the University. The almost prohibitive price of specialized equipment at the Harvard Medical School requires careful consideration of future students. In Harvard College this trend is shown by the recent ruling requiring three years residence of the undergraduate in Cambridge before obtaining a diploma. In so controlling admission to all its branches, the University aims at acquiring men of ability, men capable of grasping the opportunity that a large institution offers. The newly established Business School has taken another step towards this ideal.