Revival?

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In clubs of the University like Cercle Francais, the Classical Club, and Deutscher Verein, which deal with national cultures, it was the custom some years ago to arrange a regular program of reading from a standard author of the language. This plan was objected to as lacking variety, and great authors were often not available by reason of duplication with college courses. Among other good points, it made possible a general view of a writer's leading ideas, or combined entertainment with familiar study of style.

Another program of like nature may also be used, taking for subject an outstanding national figure not represented by any considerable body of extant writings--such as Socrates, Richelieu, or Bismarck. A group like the Scipionic circle in Rome or the Medici family might be chosen. Range of acquaintance with literature and understanding of its geographic and social background would be promoted.

This topic may be worth developing later in the year in the CRIMSON, after investigating what is the present practice of the clubs mentioned. Very truly yours,   Henry W. Litchfield '07.