BRITISH ADMIRAL TO LECTURE AT UNION

Victoria Cross, D. S. O., and Legion of Honor Given Him -- Spoke Before Harvard Club Last Week

Members of the Harvard Union will have an opportunity to hear the story of one of the most distinguished naval fighters in history when Rear Admiral Gordon Campbell of the British Navy speaks at the Union at 8 o'clock this evening.

In a lecture entitled "How the British Q Boats Fought the German Submarines" and illustrated by stereopticon slides, Campbell will give a vivid description of the most ingenious of the methods employed by the British Admiralty to combat the submarine menace. The Q boats, merchant vessels armed with concealed guns and making every effort to be torpedoed, decoyed twelve German submarines to destruction. As commander of the first of these novel units in the British Navy and later of several others. Admiral Campbell accounted for four of the enemy's deadly underwater crafts, which in April 1917 were so depleting British tonnage that high Admiralty officials saw unconditional surrender within three months staring them in the face. For heroism in action on the high seas the Victoria Cross was twice conferred on Admiral Campbell, as well as the Distinguished Service Order and two bars. The French Government made him an Officer of the Legion of Honor and awarded him the Croix de Guerre.

Admiral Campbell, who lectured to a large gathering at the Harvard Club on February 1, is making his second tour of the United States. He is the author of a book, "My Mystery Ships."