CLASSICAL CLUB PLAY WILL BE GIVEN IN LATIN

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR PACKARD DIRECTS PRODUCTION

In Sanders Theatre on March 19 and 20 when the Harvard Classical Club presents the "Menaechmi" of Plautus, members of the University will have an opportunity to see the first Latin play produced at Harvard since the club gave the "Phormio" in 1893. This year's play, the first to be given by the club entirely on its own initiative, will be rendered in Latin metrically, to the accompaniment of two clarinets, an oboe, and a bassoon. The music, which attempts to recall rather than reproduce that of the Romans, was written by R. S. Shuman '31.

For those who do not know Latin well a translation has been prepared by E. C. Weist '30 and R. W. Hyde '30. The play, on which Shakespeare's "Comedy of Errors" is indirectly based, is a story of two twins, the Menaechmi, constantly being mistaken for each other; the farcial action can be followed by an audience not acquainted with the text.

The cast was chosen last June and has been holding regular rebearsals under the direction of Assistant Professor F. C. Packard '20, secretary of the Cambridge School of the Drama, since the middle of October. In the costume, soenery, and interpretation no effort has been spared to make this production at once accurate archaeologically and appealing to a modern audience.