Sayre Macneil Lauds Crimson's Prohibition Plan Because It Sets College Men Thinking on Worthwhile Subject

"I cannot say too much in favor of the CRIMSON's campaign to crystallize college sentiment on the prohibition question," said Professor Sayre Macneil, of the Harvard Law School, in a recent discussion.

"As for the actual value of the work in helping to solve the great enforcement problem, I am not willing to commit myself by saying it will or will not be an aid," continued Macneil. "Of course the CRIMSON may very possibly get together a set of statistics that will be of actual value to the administrations. But, regardless of whether or not the campaign bears fruit, it is a very laudable plan and will be of great service.

"In my mind the real value of the idea lies in putting something worth thinking about before the students of this country. There is no topic with which future active citizens and leaders of the United States can occupy themselves in thought better than the prohibition movement. It is a subject that deserves consideration and if collegians can be made to think seriously on such a worthy topic immeasurable good will have been done.

"I would be only too happy if I could get my students over here in the Law School to get behind such a campaign I am sure that the thought, argument, and discussion would be of great benefit to them and that they would come out with much better marks in June."

Professor Macneil refused to comment on the Harvard Debating Council's plan for the enforcement of the eighteenth Amendment.