HOLMES PORTRAIT TO BE GIVEN TO LAW SCHOOL

BOROUGH SYSTEM DISCUSSED BY ROYALL PROFESSOR

J. K. Beale '82, Royall Professor of Law, yesterday announced that a portrait of Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes '61, which has been purchased by friends of Judge Holmes, would be presented to the Harvard Law School on next Thursday with speeches by President Lowell, Dean Pound, and Judge Learned Hand '93, of the New York State Supreme Court.

Professor Beale, who is the chairman of Mayor Curley's Greater Boston committee, has recently returned from abroad where he made a careful study of the London borough system of municipal government. In telling of his findings in this research, Dr. Beale said, "I was very favorably impressed with the London system. Everyone seemed perfectly contented and with their metropolitan system of government, the English are able to keep the subsidiary cities and towns in existence and yet can serve the whole of them as a unit. You see, all of the various cities that combine to make up the metropolis of London have separate independent governments and yet they all send representatives to the country-council in London. This system enables them to keep their taxes at a minimum.

"This system might very easily be adapted to Boston's plan of government. After my study abroad I think it feasible that the metropolitan Boston plan might be broadened so as to take in more of the municipal duties of the participating cities without at all destroying their existence as separate entities.

"I will report the facts just as I found them to the commission and let it act as it sees fit. I presume that the meeting will be called some time next week."