YALE STUDENTS VOTE 5 TO 1 FOR REPEAL OF PROHIBITION

Statistics Show That Three Quarters of College Drinks

A poll of the students in Yale and in the Sheffield Scientific School conducted yesterday by the Yale Daily News showed a 5 to 1 sentiment in favor of repeal of the Eighteenth Amendment, and indicated that about three quarters of the Elis drink. It was also shown that drinking is more prevalent in the senior than in the freshman year, and that hard liquor is the most popular.

The questionnaire was answered by 2468 of the 3129 undergraduates; of these 1874, or 71 per cent admitted that they drink, while 769 declared themselves abstainers. The number of frequent imbibers is 352, and of occasional ones 1012.

Those favoring repeal of the Eighteenth Amendment numbered 2113, with 426 in favor of strict enforcement of existing laws. Thirty-five per cent of the thirsty consume Scotch and rye, 24 per cent favor gin, 20 per cent beer, and 12 per cent wines.

The ballots, which were not signed asked, "Do you drink in college; no, yes, frequently, occasionally?": "Do you drink outside of college?": "Do most elders in your home environment drink, frequently, etc.?"; "Did you drink before you came to college?"; "Which do you favor, strict enforcement or repeal of the Eighteenth Amendment?"; and "When and if repealed, would you prefer Federal or State control of the manufacture and sale of liquor?" Another question asked for a listing in order of the three alcoholic beverages most commonly indulged in.