FOUR MEMBERS OF FACULTY AIDED BY GUGGENHEIM FUND

Prominent Novelists, Painters, Poets, and Composers Share $200,000--Nine Other Harvard Men Also on List

Four members of the faculty of Harvard University and nine others, who hold degrees from Harvard were among the eighty-five scholars, novelists, poets, composers of music, sculptors, painters and other creative workers who have been awarded Fellowships amounting to more than $200,000 it was announced yesterday by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. The funds granted will be used by the Fellow to carry on research and creative work on four continents. The largest number will go to Europe but others will carry on their work in Latin America, Asia, the islands of the South Seas and Africa. The list includes sixteen women.

The Fellowships announced yesterday bring the total number of persons assisted since the establishment of the Foundation by former United States Senator and Mrs. Guggenheim five years ago to 295. The Foundation is a memorial to a son of the founders and its purpose in the words of Senator Guggenheim's Letter of Gift is to "advance human achievement by aiding students to push forward the boundaries of understanding and enrich human life by aiding them in the cultivation of beauty and taste". In accordance with these purposes the Foundation offers Fellowships, tenable abroad under the freest possible conditions for research in any field of knowledge and for creative work in any of the fine arts. The Fellowships are open to men and women, whether married or unmarried of every race and creed, on equal terms. Two Negroes have been awarded Fellowships this year. The Foundation has a capital fund of $4,500,000 donat- ed by Senator and Mrs. Guggenheim.

In accordance with plans made six months ago by Senator Guggenheim when he gave the Foundation an additional million dollars of endowment, the list includes the first Latin American Exchange Fellows of the Foundation. These new Fellowships were organized first in Mexico and a Mexican Committee of Selection has appointed two Mexican scholars to come to the United States to carry on their studies. At the same time four scholars from the United States will go to Mexico and other countries of Latin America to engage in research. Next Year Latin American Exchange Fellows to come to the United States will be chosen in Cuba and several countries of South America.

Thirteen Harvard Men

The list of Fellows now announced contains the names of ten American novelists, poets and critics, eight composers of music, four sculptors, three painters, as well as the names of other creative workers in etching, stained glass and typography.

Following are the members of the Harvard faculty who were appointed: Dr. K. J. Conant '15, assistant professor of Architecture, whose project will be the continuation of the restoration of the Abbey Church of Cluny in co-operation with the Mediaeval Academy of America; Dr. J. D. Wild, Jr., instructor in Philosophy, holder of an M.A. degree from Harvard in 1925, whose project will be studies of the philosophical works of George Berkeley, and research in European libraries and consultation with authorities; Dr. C. W. Dodge, curator of the Farlow Herbarium, who will complete a work on the Lichen Flora of Costa Rica; and Dr. C. C. Pratt, assistant professor of Psychology and tutor in the Division of Philosophy, who will continue an investigation of the expressive properties of musical structure by means of methods which are being developed by Gestalt psychologists in Germany.

The following men holders of Harvard degrees, have also been appointed, and will carry out certain projects: Dr. N. C. Hannay, M.A. and Ph.D., 1919, professor of English Language and Literature at the Boston University School of Religious Education and Social Service, will work on the preparation of a life of William Cowper and a collected annotated edition of all known letters of the poet collated with the originals.

Many Going to Europe

T. T. Hoopes '19, of New York University, will complete the preparation of a history of hand firearms in Europe. Dr. H. D. Jordan '19, assistant professor of History Dartmouth College, will undertake a study of the English newspaper press mainly during the years 1853-1865, with particular reference to the causes and nature of the expansion which took place in those years. Dr. Clarence Kennedy, Ph.D. in the Fine Arts, 1924, associate professor of Art, Smith College, will complete a study of the work of the Renaissance sculptor, Desiderio de Settignana, and of his assistants and associates.

Dr. R. A. Newhall, who did graduate work at Harvard from 1911 to 1917 and is professor of European History at Williams College, will work on a study of the military and financial phases of the Hundred Years War, in English and French archives. Dr. J. C. Russell, Ph.D., 1926, professor of History and Social Science at New Mexico Normal University, will make a systematic examination for biographical data of the manuscripts of certain Latin authors of thirteenth century England, in English libraries.

Dr. J. W. Sparge, Ph.D., 1926, assistant professor of English, Northwestern University, will study legends, mediaeval and modern, which developed about the name of Virgil, the Latin poet. Randall Thompson '20, composer of music, will do creative work in musical composition, abroad. Dr. C. H. Wesley, Ph.D., 1925, professor of History and head of the Department of History, Howard University, will undertake a study of negro slavery and apprenticeship in the British West Indies, 1807-1836; a study in economic transition.

Seven Hundred Applicants

More than seven hundred applications for Fellowships were presented. The new Fellows are resident in twenty-three states and in Mexico. Thirty-one of them are not connected with any educational institution but are working independently at their research or creative work. The other Fellows are instructors and professors in thirty-four colleges and universities.

New York University, with five Fellows, leads the country in the number of its professors honored with Fellowships. The University of California is second with four Fellows on its staff. The Universities of Illinois and Wisconsin, Smith College, Harvard, Yale and Columbia, have three Fellows each. Mt. Holyoke College and the University of Chicago have two each and no other educational institution more than one.

The Trustees of the Foundation, in addition to the founders, Senator and Mrs. Guggenheim, are Francis H. Brownell, Carroll A. Wilson, Charles D. Hilles, Roger W. Straus and Charles Earl.

The Committee of Selection consisted of President Frank Aydelotte of Swarthmore College, Professor Lafayette B. Mendel of Yale University, Professor Louise Pound of the University of Nebraska, Professor E. B. Wilson of the Harvard School of Public Health and President of the Social Science Research Council, and Professor F. J. E. Woodbridge of Columbia University.

Many Prominent Advisors

The Committee of Selection was advised, with reference to applications for work in creative writing, by a jury consisting of Dr. Henry Seidel Canby, Editor of the Saturday Review of Literature, Dean Wilbur L. Cross of Yale University, and Dr. Ashley H. Thorndike of Columbia University. With reference to applications for creative work in the fine arts, they were advised by a jury consisting of Professor William Emerson, Head of the Department of Architecture of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mr. James E. Fraser, Sculptor, New York City; Mr. Howard Giles, Painter, New York City; Mr. Charles Hopkinson, Painter, Boston; and Mr. David Keppel, New York City. They were advised with reference to applications for creative work in musical composition by Mr. Thomas Whitney Surette, of Concord, Massachusetts.

Among the former Fellows of the Foundation in creative writing are Stephen Vincent Benet, whose book "John Brown's Body" written as a Fellow won the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry; Harold Lamb, whose book on the Crusades has recently been published and has been chosen by the Book-of-the-Month Club for March