DEAN OF ENGINEERING SCHOOL DIES SUDDENLY

BECAME DEAN IN FIRST YEARS OF SCHOOL'S LIFE

Hector James Hughes '94, professor of Civil Engineering and dean of the Harvard Engineering School since 1920, died last Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock in his home at 6 Clement Circle, Cambridge. Professor Hughes was suddenly taken seriously ill on February 23, following his return from the South. He had been suffering for some time from heart disease brought on by overwork, and had planned spending a sabbatical leave of absence for the second half of this academic year in England and Scotland.

Professor Hughes received his A. B. degree from Harvard in 1894, and after two years in Iowa as a railroad construction engineer and a short while as designer for the American Bridge Company of Pittsburgh, returned to Harvard in 1902 as an assistant instructor in civil engineering. His promotion to an assistant professorship came in 1903; in 1914, after a year as an associate professor, he achieved a full professorship.

In 1920, a short time after the Engineering School had severed its connection with M. I. T., Professor Hughes was chosen dean.