TIMES CONTEST WILL BE HELD THIS AFTERNOON

TWENTY-SIX STUDENTS ENTERED COMPETITION LAST YEAR

As announced previously, the examination in the New York Times Current Events-contest will be held at 3 o'clock this afternoon in Widener O. Dr. J. F. Sly of the Department of Government is in charge.

This examination, conducted every year under the auspices of the New York Times, tests thoroughly the candidate's familiarity with important events of the preceding twelve months. This year's paper will cover the period from April 1, 1929, to the date of the contest. Any undergraduate, unless he be a former winner, is eligible to compete. No registration is necessary and no fee will be charged for the examination.

As in former years, the paper will be divided into two parts. Each half of the paper will count 50 per cent of the total, but the apportionment of time between them will be at the candidate's discretion.

Members of the Harvard Department of Government will read the examination papers. The winner, who will receive a prize of $250 and a medal suitably inscribed, will be announced on or about March 20. Honorable mention will be given to two other contestants. The winning paper will be entered in competition for the $500 grand prize in the national intercollegiate contest, along with the winning papers of 20 other individual college competitions. H. G. Abdian '30, of Arlington, was the winner of last year's contest, in which 26 undergraduates participated.