TRIALS ARE ANNOUNCED FOR SPEAKING CONTESTS

PASTEUR ASPIRANTS TO DISCUSS FRANCE'S NAVAL STAND

Important announcements have been made concerning the Boylston and Lee Wade Prize speaking contest and the annual Pasteur Medal debate by the officials in charge of these competitions.

Assistant Professor F. C. Packard Jr. '20, who is directing the Boylston and Lee Wade contest, announced yesterday that 39 men have signed up for participation in the trials. The selections which they have chosen range from old to recent speeches and poems, all of which will be in English this year, although last year's winning oration was delivered in Latin. From these 39 men', ten finalists will be chosen in the preliminary hearing to be held in the large lecture room of the Fogg Art Museum on Friday.

It has been announced by Assistant Professor L. J. A. Mercier, who is conducting the Pasteur Medal debate, that the subject' chosen this year is, "Resolved, That France's stand in the 1930 Naval Parley was justified". This contest is under the direction of the French Department and is an annual competition, which is open to all members of the College. The preliminary contest will be held on April 15, to select seven finalists, who will compete in a public debate on April 25.

Dr. G. H. Maynadier '89, who is in charge of the Commencement speaking, announced that this year, as always, the men graduating with honors will be eligible for the competition for Commencement speakers.