CHANGES WILL BE MADE IN MAKEUP OF 1931 DIVISIONALS

New Form Will Attempt to do Away With Old Disadvantages--Elementary Courses No Longer Suffice

Changes designed to render more specific the divisional examinations in the field of History, Government, and Economics have been drawn up by the Committee of Instruction and approved by the faculty, according to a recent announcement made by that Department.

Under the new system which will go into effect in 1931 the student will not be questioned on the elementary courses History 1, Government 1, and Economics A as has formerly been the case with a general three hour examination in the three subjects. Knowledge of these courses will be accepted on the basis of his passing grade when he took them. By the new plan this general examination will consist of an attempt to correlate the fields for examination purposes.

A student concentrating in History, for example, may be examined on History as it applies to Government or Economics. This will introduce an element of mature interpretation of the subject which has not been prevalent before. If this new plan is successful, it is predicted that other subjects may be treated in a similar manner.

At present a list of twelve subject heads has been drawn up, correlating the three fields in different combinations. All students in the field will be required to take one of these examinations, while candidates for honors will take a second correlation examination on a subject different from the first.