BASEBALL SEASON OPENS FRIDAY WITH B. U. GAME

SIX GAMES ARE SCHEDULED FOR SOUTHERN TRIP

With the opening game of the Season only four days off, the University baseball team took advantage of the mild weather to hold its first outdoor practice yesterday at Soldiers Field. Changes in the plans for the spring trip have caused the date of the initial tilt with B. U. to be moved ahead to Friday instead of Saturday as originally announced. If the weather permits, regular practice will probably be held outdoors in preparation for the opening of the season for the rest of this week.

Practice yesterday consisted mainly of batting and infield workouts. The first-string infield that is to start Friday's contest will probably be made up of G. A. Donaldson '31 at first base, E. A. Mays '32 at second, F. E. Nugent '30 shortstop, and H. L. Huxtable '30 at third. The second infield yesterday was composed of W. B. Wood Jr. '32 at the initial sack, J. J. Carver '30 at second base assisted by J. J. O' Neil '30 at shortstop, with E. J. Des Roches '31 covering the hot corner.

The pitchers who will make the spring trip and who will form the nucleus of the pitching staff are W. H. MacHale '31. W. K. Page '31. Charles Devens '32, and E. P. Samborski '31. S. S. Batchelder '31, and J. S. Rex '31 were the catches who worked out with the two infields.

After the B. U. game about 20 members of the squad will be selected for the Southern schedule. On Saturday they will sail to Norfolk, Virginia together with the tennis and track teams.

Beginning Monday April 7, they will play a game a day. The first contest will be the University of Richmond. For the remaining five days of the week they will engage William and Mary, Quantico Marines. Georgetown, Catholic University and Columbia respectively.