NEARLY 200 COURSES TO BE GIVEN IN THE SUMMER SCHOOL HERE THIS YEAR

P. P. CHASE '99 AGAIN IN CHARGE OF SCHOOL

A staff of 126 professors and instructors from Harvard and other universities of American and Europe will offer a total of nearly 200 courses in the 1930 Harvard Summer School. P. P. Chase '99 is again in charge of the summer session, which will last six weeks from July 7 to August 16.

Among the courses offered there are a large number which are either entirely new or resumed after a period of discontinuance.

Sir John Adams of the University of London will present two courses in education, "Comparative Education" and "The Philosophical Bases of Education,": which will offer an opportunity for the study of education as presented in other countries. Courses in Government entitled "The Government of the British Commonwealth of Nations" and "Modern Imperialism" will be presented by J. R. Hayden, visiting professor from the University of Michigan. Professor C. J. Sisson of University College London is to give courses on "The English Drama from 1600 to 1642" and "The Epic in England". Professor J. D. McCallum of Dartmouth College will give a course on "Contemporary Literature, English and American, from 1890 to the Present Day"; this is the first time that this course has been given.

Many New Courses

A great many Harvard professors are presenting new courses this summer. Among these new offerings are "Primitive Sociology", by W. L. Warner, instructor in Anthropology; "Experimental Psychology" by Dr. M. H. Elliott, instructor in Psychology; "Problems of Immigration" by Lincoln Fairley '23, tutor in the field of Philosophy. "Morphology and Anatomy of Woody Plants" by Assistant Professor R. H. Wetmore and Dr. R. H. Woodworth '28: "Homer and Virgil: Theory of the Oral and the Literary Epic" by Dr. Milman Parry: "Elementary Landscape Construction" by M. J. Williams '25, instructor in Landscape Topography; "Mathematical Elements in Art" by Professor G. D. Birkhoff '05: "Advanced Harmony" by A. T. Merritt, assistant in Music: "Higher Mental Processes" by Assistant Professor C. C. Pratt.

Diverse Subjects Treated

Other course to be presented by visiting professors are "English Critical Prose of the Nineteenth Century" by Professor R. E. Spiller of Swarthmore College; "History of English Literature from 1700 to 1740" by Professor J. W. Draper of West Virginia University; "The Romantic Period in Music" and "Musical Appreciation" by Professor R. D. Welch of Smith College: "Modern Developments in Physics" by Professor R. A. Patterson of Rensselaer Polytechnical Institute; "The Philosophy of Evolution" by Professor E. G. Spaulding of Princeton University: "The British Commonwealth of Nations" and "The Recent History of England, 1878-1930" by Professor L. M. Larson of the University of Illinois; "History of the Thirteen Colonies to 1760" by Professor T. J. Wertenbaker of Princeton University: "Chaucer" by Professor M. Y. Hughes of the University of California.

Special Field Trip

Besides these regular courses in Cambridge there is to be a special five weeks field course which will offer an opportunity for selected students to study during the summer the early Paleosoic sedimentary rocks. Pre-Cambrian crystalline rocks, and a varied assortment of glacial and post-glacial deposits in the Champlain Valley of New York and Vermont. The course is conduced by Professor A. C. Swinnerton of Antioch College.

For dormitory accommodations the Freshman halls will be available, with women students being placed in Gore, Standish, and McKinlock. Men will be furnished rooms in Smith Halls. Last year the total enrolment in the School was 2,489 persons, of whom 52 percent were men and 47 percent women, with 61 percent of the students from outside being teachers and school officers.