FLYING CLUB WINS COLLEGE TROPHY AND $1000 AWARD

Mid-Western School Comes in Ahead of Yale, N. Y. U.--Contest Established to Aid Student Aviation

Washington, D. C., April 16--The Contest Committee of the National Aeronautic Association announced tonight that the Harvard Flying Club had been declared the winner of the Grover Loening Intercollegiate Flying Contest. The prize is a $1000 cash award and a trophy that the club will keep until it is awarded again after the next competition.

This is the first year that the trophy has been awarded, the contest having been established earlier in the year by Grover Loening, famous builder of amphibians. Second prize of $500 went to the University of Detroit Aeronautical Society, third prize of $300 to the Yale Aeronautical Society, and fourth place money of $200 was captured by the New York University Flying Club. There were seven entries in all in the contest, Michigan, Ohio State, and Dartmouth being the other competitors.

In explaining the establishment of the contest Loening said that the purpose of it was to encourage flying among college students and that he felt that this could best be done by offering money prizes which would help to put the winners on their feet financially. The basis of the awards was made on the number of pilots and student pilots that the various clubs got in the air, and the actual time on motor-driven planes acquired by them.

The prizes and trophies will be awarded to the winners on Saturday night in New York at a dinner given by Loening. In winning first place Harvard qualified with 22 licensed pilots who put in a total of 1,155 hours of flying. The club is the oldest flying organization in the country and is the only one that owns its own plane outright.

At the offices of the Harvard Flying Club yesterday it was announced that four men will go down to attend the Loening dinner and accept the prize. These men are R. B. Bell '30, former president of the club, J. H. Smith '32, H. H. Timken '32, and Robert Gilmore, Jr. '31. The men will fly down in the club plane on Saturday afternoon.