ADVANCE GUARD LEAVES FOR PENN RELAYS TODAY

VONCKX TO COMPETE IN HAMMER THROW

This evening at 10.45 o'clock the first Harvard contingent of entries for the annual Penn Relay Carnival will leave the South Station for Philadelphia.

This group includes, besides Coach Farrell and Manager Henry Chalfant '31, Rowe, Fobes, Hallowell, and Cobb, the four men who will represent the Crimson in the distance medley relay race scheduled for Friday afternoon.

Coach Farrell has decided to concentrate on a small number of events this year and is entering only nine men in all in the Philadelphia competition. The other five Harvard representatives, including Vonckx, stellar hammer-thrower, and the crack Crimson one mile relay quartet, comprised of Cummings, Hennessy, Munroe, and Record, will entrain Friday afternoon at 1.05 o'clock, in order to arrive in time for their events.

In Friday's distance medley race, Rowe will run the quarter, Fobes the half, Hallowell, the three-quarters, and Cobb the mile. The same quartet will figure Saturday in the two mile relay, where it will face stiff opposition from such-powerful teams as Bates, which again relies on Chapman to bring it through to victory.

Regardless of any special events at the Penn Carnival, interest will as usual be centered chiefly in the relays. Four colleges hold two legs on the distance medley relay trophy, and it appears from the present prospect that Friday will see the cup's retirement. Boston College, Penn State, University of Pennsylvania, and Georgetown are all in position to retire this trophy, which has been in competition since 1920.

Penn runs a strong favorite to win the two mile relay and retire its fourth trophy in this event.