EZEKIEL TO PLACE

Now that the Amherst money market is responding well to the bullish forces with a best for the more uncertain in uses, there should be an impetus to the interest in Wall Street already exhibited by the men of the cloth. There have been surer methods of providing for the daily bread, but none have transcended mediocrity with a more ecstatic revelation of the divine afflatus than glows beneath the raftered roof of the chapel in the Berkshires.

Inspired by the ten commandments of Tia Juana and the sermon on Monte Carlo the sons of the prophet of prosperity feed on the manna provided each chilly dawn at morning prayer. Faith in the ultimate victory of the pulpit in the spiritual contest against chance and fate is swelling the ranks of the believers. Traditional forms of worship--Isis, Dionysius, the Eleusinian mysteries, Mammon himself--are flicked out of consciousness by the true followers, the faithful who abide by the tenets of the spokesman of the divine decree.

A new convert to the highest trust in the immortality of a beneficent system in the universe raises his voice in fuller praise each morning when the daily hymn is announced. But experience, the nagging mother of cynicism, teaches that the high hopes of the fanatical candidates for the episcopacy of the Stock Exchange will be crushed; the most they can hope for is elevation to the post of rector in a quiet country parsonage, where they can continue to pay their financial reverence and reap the rewards of honest labor by selling bonds to the inhabitants of the rural bailiwick.