THE SOPHOMORE SMOKER

The officers of the Sophomore Class have decided not to hold the customary smoker for their class this spring. In the past, other classes have found these affairs dull and wholly valueless as far as their supposed purpose of promoting class spirit goes. The Junior Prom met a similar fate, and few regretted the lost ball and brawl. These vanishing traditions of a Harvard that was once united and compact will not be missed. New traditions, more natural and more spontaneous, will no doubt spring from the smaller and more easily handled units of the House Plan.

However much one feels inclined to commend the action of the Sophomore Class officers, there can be little praise for their attempt to let the Smoker die without a hearing before the class. It is reasonably certain that the Sophomores would wholly approve of the decision of their officers in abolishing so futile a custom, but it is regrettable that these officers should feel it necessary to let the Smoker pass away without the bare courtesy of an obituary announcement.