HARVARD RELAY TEAM IS FOURTH IN PENN MEDLEY

BITING WIND DUCKS RUNNERS AT FRANKLIN FIELD

Philadelphia, Penn., April 25--In a stirring race in which the winner's time was just one fifth of a second away from the world's record Pennsylvania's crack medley quartet raced home to a victory in the medley relay today, the feature race on the day's program of the annual Penn Relays, in progress here. New York University pulled up in second place followed by Ohio State and Harvard.

The runners were forced to run in the teeth of a frigid gale that swept over Franklin Field and kept the crowd of spectators at a low number. Penn was "the pre-race favorite and came through in great style. Some idea of how close the race really was can be gathered from the fact that the Harvard team, in fourth place, finished in a time that was fully eight seconds better than the time of the winning quartet last year. Penn's time was 20 and one-fifth seconds.

The feature of the race was the remarkable three-quarter mile run by Hallo well, of Harvard, who, given the baton way behind, bucked the wind and drew even to the leaders before handing the stick over to Dave Cobb.

In the Decathlon, the feature individual event, Barney Berlinger easily retained the honors that he won last year.