A Rose for John Harvard

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions at the request of the writer will names be with held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Half a mile from the First Church of Charlestown (parent of the Old South), where John Harvard was sixth pastor, there stands the twenty foot obelisk intended by the class of 1828 to mark his resting place. It is the most imposing memorial the "Phipps St. Burying Ground" possesses, crowning the knoll and attracting visitors up the single path, Harvard Ave., to investigate the name of the claimant to such relative magnificence. Every Memorial Day witnesses the press of scores of people to the central eminence, whence they may enter into a spirit of the services held at the base of this monument. It is the subject of considerable surprise that the latter remains very meagerly decorated. Years ago, when a fence surrounded the spot, an occasional wreath was deposited within. One little old lady used to appear regularly and translate the Latin inscription for the benefit of the curious. She always left some token of her esteem, apparently a smaller one each year, until the last, occurring about five years ago, was a single rose. The children of the neighboring Harvard Grammar School obey instructions and occasionally file to the spot, to leave some slight offering, gaze in awe at the name which they vaguely remember having heard in some other connection, and quietly depart.

Here, perhaps, is an opportunity to execute an appropriate and graceful gesture, very easily made a class post of honor for those who should officiate. Douglas P. Adams '30