Scholarly Nines Take Field as Eli and Crimson Phi Beta Kappas Play Annual Game--Brainy Batsmen Perform at 3.30 O'Clock

Two baseball teams representing the Phi Beta Kappa societies of Harvard and Yale will meet in a ball game this afternoon on Soldiers Field at 3.30 o'clock to determine the athletic supremacy between the two learned societies.

The game is the second under the agreement to make the game an annual affair. The contest had been a regular feature until 1924 when the custom was abolished, but last Spring the Yale chapter accepted the challenge of its Crimson rival and the two teams met in a game down at New Haven.

Both teams have been practicing during the past week, the Harvard outfit having had daily workouts on the diamond on Soldiers Field. The Crimson contingent has however been hampered by the lack of men reporting and by the fact that two of its pitchers have left the team in the lurch because they have completed their divisionals. The Crimson battery will be composed of J. A. Marcus '31, pitcher, and Arnold Kowarski '31 catcher. R. H. Phelps '30, first marshal of the society who has been in charge of arrangements and is acting as captain, last night stated that at present the nine still lacked an outfield; he was certain, however, that Harvard would be able to put a complete team on the field

Yale will be led by Saunders MacLane and John F. Bell, president and secretary, respectively, of the Eli chapter. It is likely that these two will form the opposing battery. A. W. Samborski '26, Director of Intramural Athletics has offered to umpire the game so that the battling intelligentsia will have the benefit of experienced judgment. That the two fraternities are a bit ashamed of the baseball they might exhibit was shown by the fact that they were both reticent about publicity.