ENGLISH SHOW AT FOGG MUSEUM ONE OF BEST SEEN HERE

Portraits by Late Eighteenth Century Artist Displayed -- Other Important Work on Exhibit

Honoring Professor Chauncy Brewster Tinker of Yale, Fogg Museum yesterday opened its major exhibition of the year to visitors. The display, which includes representative work of eighteenth and early nineteenth century English artists assembles some of the most famous examples of the school which began with Hogarth and includes Reynolds. Gainsborough. Romney, Raeburn. Turner Constable and Lawrence.

A number of museums and private collectors have contributed to the exhibition making it one of the most complete of its kind in the United States, and among the most important ever assembled in the University art museum. Some of the best paintings in the exhibition are from the brush of Sir Henry Raeburn. 1756-1823, his "Elfinstone Children" being possibly the outstanding canvas on display. Others, among them the portraits of Hugh Hope and Sir Walter Scott, display a warmth and depth of treatment that is unusually fine. Another portrait, that of Mrs Ellen Cochrane, from the brush of the same master, possesses the game piquancy which marks so many of his canvases, particularly the masterpiece first mentioned.

Turner and Raeburn Prominent

Other important paintings are an early Turner, "Seapiece," lent by the Malden Public Library; the "Grand Landscape" of Gainsborough; John Crome's "The Mill," the only representative of this artist on display: a small canvas by John Sell Cotman, "Chateau in Normandy": and some water colors by John Ruskin, Thomas Girtin and William Blake. It is interesting to note that group of one Turner and two Raeburns are hung in the identical place in which they were when the museum opened.

Professor Tinker will lecture at 4.30 o'clock on Monday. May 12 in the galleries, taking as his subject the paintings of the loan exhibition. At that time visitors will have the opportunity to hear him speak on the works which he has discussed in his Harvard classes during the second half-year. Among the contributing museums are the Metropolitan Museum, the Duncan Phillips Memorial Gallery, the Chicago Art Institute, the Cincinnati Art Museum, the School of Fine Arts at Yale and the Elizabethan Club of New Haven.