FRANKFURTER SPEAKS AT SOCIAL WORK CONVENTION

Professor Urges Free Hand for Hoover Commission--Survey is First Ever Made

Urging that President Hoover's law enforcement commission be given a free hand in furthering its investigations. Felix Frankfurter. Byrne Professor of Administrative Law in the Harvard Law School, yesterday spoke to the National Council of Social Work, in session in Boston.

Professor Frankfurter pointed out that the commission is charged with the duty of inquiring into the work of 50 judicial systems and that time and scientific atmosphere, free from contentions, are necessary. It will, when completed he the first comprehensive study made by the government to find out why we have crime and what society should do about it.

Yesterday was the first day of actual work on the part of the delegates, some 5000 of whom are in attendance. Among the outstanding visitors to the city at this time are Jane Addams of Hull House, 'Chicago, one of the most famous of the country's settlement workers; and George W. Wickersham, head of the President's law enforcement commission. Professor Frankfurter was one of several speakers on yesterday's program.