HILL TO CAPTAIN 1931 TENNIS TEAM

Harvard to Play in Intercollegiate Championships--Matches at Merion Cricket Club June 23

Malcolm Turner Hill '31, of Waban, was elected captain of the 1931 tennis team at a meeting of the lettermen. He prepared for Harvard at Loomis, captained the 1930 Freshman team, and has played at numbers one and two on the Crimson team during the past year. His election is subject to the approval of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports. Francis Marion Goodwin, Jr. '31, of Washington, D. C., will manage the team next year. He prepared at Washington Central High School.

The Harvard team will again enter the Intercollegiate Lawn Tennis National Championships, which are to be held from Monday, June 23 to Saturday, June 28, at the Merion Cricket Club, Haverford, Pennsylvania, under the auspices of the United States Lawn Tennis Association. Four men will represent the Crimson at this tournament; the group has not yet been named by Coach Cowles.

110 Players in 1929

In 1929, 110 players representing 46 colleges and universities participated in the singles event, and 40 teams representing 35 colleges and universities competed in the doubles. Berkeley Bell, of the University of Texas, was winner of the Intercollegiate Singles Championship, by defeating in the final round Gregory Mangin, of Georgetown University, 2-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2. The Intercollegiate Doubles Championship was won by Benjamin Gorchakoff and Arthur Kussman, of Occidental College, who defeated Emmet Pare and Mangin, of Georgetown, 5-7, 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 in the final round.

In conjunction with the Intercollegiate Championships, the Merion Cricket Club will hold a tournament beginning Tuesday morning, June 24, for all players who have been eliminated in the Singles Championship.

The colleges and universities represented at the tournament last year included Amherst, Army, Brown, Bucknell, Butler, Cambridge, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbia, Cornell, Dickinson, Franklin and Marshall, Florida, Fordham, Gettysburg, Georgetown, Grinell, Harvard, Indiana, Kenyon, Lehigh, Minnesota, Navy, N. Y. U., Notre Dame, Occidental, Oregon, Oxford, Pennsylvania, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Princeton, Rice, Rutgers, Southern California, Southern Methodist, Stanford, Swarthmore, Texas, Tulane, Union, Ursinus, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Western State Teachers College, and Yale.