SHRUBBERY OR A FACULTY

A person returning to Cambridge after an absence of two years or even of only eighteen months would be amazed at the tremendous changes that have taken place in the physical aspect of Harvard. The new buildings in-cidental to the house plan, those already completed and those still under construction, the two superb structures, the indoor athletic building and the Dillon Field House, the new faculty club, the additions to Langdell Hall, all testify to the generosity of Harvard's friends in meeting her physical wants.

Unfortunately, however, a fine plant by on means insures a great university Stained wood in the dining halls, green shrubbery on the landscape, and eye-blinding colors in the hallways are nice things to have in a university, but good teaching is still a prime requisite to education, however much this simple truth may have been obscured by the sense of false security that comes of lots of steamshovels and bricklayers disturbing the contour of the Harvard sky-line.

It is not a great feat of logic to perceive that good teaching probably does not obtain unless the is a strong faculty. Furthermore, it should be obvious that money is necessary to build up, even to maintain a great faculty. In the past six years and in the next two, Harvard will have disbursed over $30,000,000 towards the improvement of her buildings. It is time to ask a question of vital importance to the University. When is provision going to be made to insure a corresponding advance in the quality of Harvard's faculty?