RECORD NUMBER REPORTS FOR UNIVERSITY SOCCER

HARVARD THIRD IN COLLEGIATE RATING OF 1929

With a record breaking number of 100 men out for the University and Freshmen teams, what promises to be a very successful soccer season was started yesterday when Head Coach J. F. Carr '28 met prospective candidates at the Dillon Field House. Of this number about half reported for the University team, while an equal number were out for the first year eleven.

Last year in the intercollegiate ratings Harvard was listed in third place with Penn State in the lead and Pennsylvania runner-up. Due to the large turnout yesterday, it seems possible that the Crimson team may this year be able to improve its standing. With the assistance of N. R. Danielian '28 and Donald Baker, Carr will select a first team for the first game of the season with Wesleyan on October 4. A second team with a regular schedule will also be formed, with games to be played on Friday afternoons to avoid conflicts with the University and Freshman schedules.

Many Veterans Back

In addition to Captain J. R. Bland '31, star half back who was a member of last year's All American soccer team, Coach Carr has a large group of experienced men from whom he should be able to build a powerful, well-balanced eleven. At goal J. P. Faude '31, another member of the All American team of last season, has returned for another season on the Crimson outfit. An unusually large group of veterans from the Junior class has also reported for practice. This number includes D. B. Dorman '32, H. H. Broadbent '32, P. J. Catinelia '32, D. M. Frame '32, B. B. Kane '32, and R. K. Vincent '32, men who should provide the coaches with a strong forward line and defense. Other veterans are W. D. Carter '31, E. J. Grover '31 J. W. Carrigan '31, F. L. Howe '31 and E. J. Des Roches '31, W. M. Smart. Jr. ocC has been appointed manager.

The University schedule follows: Saturday, October 4, Wesleyan; Saturday, October 11, Bridgewater; Saturday, October 18, Pennsylvania; Friday, October 24, Dartmouth; Saturday, November 1, Navy; Tuesday, November 4, M. I. T.; Friday, November 15, Brown at Providence; Saturday, November 22, Yale at New Haven.