ATTENDANCE AT NEW POOL AVERAGES 350 MEN A DAY

TRIALS FOR TEAMS HELD ON OCTOBER 4

That the two pools in the New Indoor Athletic Building, last year's gift of Alumnus Aquaticus, are popular with members of the University was conclusively proved by figures revealed yesterday by B. S. Ulen, swimming coach. "The average attendance," Ulen said, "for the past four days has been 370, with the greatest numbers coming between 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Yesterday the heat swelled the daily number to 450. If the pool becomes too crowded we may be reluctantly forced to require men to sign up, as is done for squash; but we will avoid this if possible. I advise all men intending to sign for lockers to do so immediately, as those on the north side of the building have all been taken." Ulen expects to have two additional assistants aiding him and Robert Muir in giving instruction to all who want it.

Candidates Called

The call for candidates for the Freshman and University teams will be made on October 4. Candidates will be drilled for four weeks on form in swimming and given body-developing exercises on the second floor of the building. Organized practice in the pool will begin about November 23.

For those purchasing a season ticket for the pool there will be a charge of $5.00 for the swimming, plus $3,00 for a year's locker rent, and $1.00 for a year's towel privilege. Men desiring to swim only occasionally can do so by paying $.25 each time.

The pool, 75 feet long, 40 feet wide, and 11 1-2 and 8 1-2 feet deep at the two ends, has a capacity of 225,000 gallons, and will be refilled only two or three times each year. It requires ten hours for the centrifugal pumps, which will be in action while the pool is being used, to circulate this amount of water through the cleansing apparatus.

Filtration Plant

After passing through a "haircatcher" which picks up any lint from bathing suits, the water is heated to between 72 and 75 degrees. It next runs through two coagulant pots, of soda ash and alum, which prevent undue acidity. The great work of filtration is done by a tank containing 27 tons of graded Cape May, New Jersey sand, through which the water will seep. Before entering the pool it will be impregnated with chlorine gas, which lends a greenish color. The results are tested twice daily by comparing a test-tube full of water with a graded color chart. In addition the floor of the tank will be periodically subjected to the suction of a large curry comb, connected by a hose to the vacuum end of the pumps.