NEW YARD DORMS ARE NAMED FOR WIGGLESWORTHS

George Wigglesworth '74 President of Board of Overseers at Time of His Death Last Fall

Wigglesworth Hall is to be the name of the new Freshman dormitory group which is being erected on the Massachusetts Avenue side of the Yard, in the rear of Widener Library, according to a vote of the Corporation which was announced yesterday at University Hall. The entries of the new group will be lettered beginning with "A" and continuing in order through the three buildings to "K".

The name Wigglesworth is given in view of the fact that the two Edward Wigglesworths, the first in the Class of 1710 and the second in the Class of 1749, lived for nearly seventy years on the site of the new building. They were the firsts holders of the Hollis Chair of Divinity, the son succeeding the father in 1765.

The family has been prominent in the history of the University from the time when Michael, of the Class of 1651, was a tutor and a member of the Corporation. In six generations, none in the direct line fell below third scholar in his class. The death of Mr. George Wigglesworth, of the Class of 1874, occurred on November 28, 1930. He was for two terms on Overseer of Harvard College, and for the last three years thereof president of the Board.