PROFESSOR THOMAS TO DISCUSS COLLEGE ENTRANCE SYSTEM

Results of Questionnaire Answered by Harvard and Radcliffe Students May Affect Future Tests

Professor C. S. Thomas, of the Graduate School of Education, and chairman of the commission on English of the College Entrance Examination board, will make a trip to New York City today in reference to his investigation of the existing conditions in the Comprehensive Examination system.

About a year ago a questionnaire was issued to the Harvard and Radcliffe freshmen who had taken entrance examinations in English, referring to their reactions and opinions with regard to the examination itself, their feeling at the time, and the adequacy of the instruction before and after entering.

This research came about as a result of considerable dissatisfaction with the type and methods of examination in general, first put into words at the School and College Conference during its last annual meeting.

When it was seen that the same examination could be graded 25 by one reader and 75 by another, the necessity for a study of the rating of books became so obvious that a special commission of nine was chosen by the College Entrance Examination Board, headed by Professor Thomas.

As a result of the investigation, and from an exchange of opinions among the members of the board, the Commission has been able to arrive at a constructive scheme, which will be proposed in their report. Since the appeal is to the board which designs the examinations, it is to be expected that the findings will largely influence the teaching of English in preparatory schools throughout the country.