MEN IN SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE TO SEEK LARGE PRIZE

M. Leconte, Winner of Grand Prix at Rome to Lecture Here--Students to Give Tea for Haffner

Advanced classes at the Graduate School of Architecture are completing their entries for the prize of $150 offered annually to students of the Schools of Architecture of Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Boston Architectural Club, by the Boston Society of Architecture. The prize has been won by a Harvard entrant for the past five years. This year's entries are due tomorrow night.

The prize will be awarded to the best solution of the following problem: "A Tomb for a Great Musician: it is supposed that a genial composer of world-wide reputation included in his will the desire to be buried in a spot where it had been his custom to go to meditate on his work. A group of his friends . . . proposes to erect on that very spot a beautiful memorial tomb . . . The character should be very refined, the scale not monumental, the architecture and sculpture simple and calm".

The designs, upon which the students have been working since Sunday, January 4, have been executed in several mediums, wash being the most popular. They are unusually small in dimensions, two by three feet instead of the usual four by five. Although as a problem, it is less complex than usual, the nature of the work requires a skillful handling of landscape, which has caused much activity in Robinson Hall for the past week.

French Architect Here

J. J. Haffner; Nelson Robinson, Jr., Professor of Architecture, will be absent from the School during the second half year. His place will be taken by Andre Leconte, architect diplome par le Gouvernement Francais, and winner of the Grand Prix de Rome in 1926. M. Leconte, generally regarded as being one of the foremost European authorities on architecture, was recently asked by the Architectural Record to make detailed scale drawings of the mosaics at Constantinople, which are now on display at Robinson Hall.

Next Monday, January 26, the students at the School will give a tea in honor of Professor Haffner, and to welcome the visiting professor, while on the following Wednesday night, January 28, a dinner will be given for Professor Haffner by the members of the Pen and Brush Club at the Hotel Kenmore.