Declaration of Dependence

THE PRESS

Princeton, N. J., Jan. 21.--That the decision about resumption of Princeton-Harvard relations in all sports except football now rests solely with the Princeton board of athletic control is the opinion expressed by "The Daily Princetonian" in an editorial which will appear in tomorrow's issue.

The resolution of the Harvard Student Council, which states that "Harvard-Princeton competition cannot take place too soon" was the last step necessary to show the cordial feeling between the present student bodies, the editorial points out.

The editorial follows:

"Developments at Cambridge and at Princeton during the last week show with unmistakable certainty the desire of the undergraduate bodies to resume athletic relations in all sports except football. The resolution of the Harvard Student Council, stating that 'Harvard-Princeton competition cannot take place too soon' is in exact agreement with the previous Princeton resolution from the three upper class presidents, the chairman of the undergraduate council and all major and minor sports captains. Together the two declarations form clear evidence of the cordial feeling between the present student bodies and strongly support the earlier demands of both the 'Crimson' and the 'Princetonian.'

"In view of Mr. Bingham's public announcement of Harvard's willingness to negotiate, the decision now rests solely with the Princeton board of athletic control. Owing to Dr. Kennedy's absence on a speaking tour through the middle West, no action of an official nature can be expected until early February; therefore, further agitation from undergraduates is unnecessary and pointless. However, the ground has been prepared for resumption, the evidence has been amassed to show that students at both universities are in favor of resumption, and the way is clear. We wait the return of Dr. Kennedy."

Dr. Charles W. Kennedy is chairman of the Princeton board of athletic control. He has given no intimation of his views on the Princeton-Harvard problem. --New York Herald Tribune.