SHARPE COMBATS BUSINESS SLUMP

Calls on Steamship and Bus Lines, Factories -- Only One Man in Ten Qualifies as Tutor-Companion

"Although the recent financial slump has had a certain effect upon the opportunities of student employment this coming summer," R. T. Sharpe '28, acting secretary of the Student Employment Bureau stated yesterday "the redoubled efforts of the Bureau have kept open most of the fields of endeavor, and have disclosed several new openings."

Employment at summer camps, hotels, yacht-clubs, and as tutor-companions, have been the four main fields in recent years, Sharpe states. But in each case the general economic condition has made student-employment difficult. For this reason the bureau has sent out twice as many announcements as customary, 600 to hotels, 400 to camps, 400 to families who have used tutor-companions in the past, and 50 to yacht-clubs and country-clubs.

Tutoring Jobs Popular

In addition, personal calls to business houses, steamship lines, bus services, factories, and life-guard agencies have resulted in a limited number of possibilities in each of these fields. Jobs as tutor-companions have become more and more popular, and more and more difficult to attain. The position Sharpe states is a highly specialized one, and although the earnings are large, the requirements are so strict that comparatively few men are qualified for such work. Only one man in ten has been accepted out of the numerous applicants who have enrolled.