THAT LEGION AGAIN

The American Legion is taking an inauspicious moment for the country, and an opportune one for the organization itself, to put a large thumb in the affairs of state. Orders which were sent out from national headquarters of the organization yesterday urge the soldiers to hurl a barrage at Washington demanding immediate legislation on treasury grants.

Despite the fact that a harrassed, if not a helpless, Congress is faced with a nation wide orisis in unemployment, the veterans want several billions of dollars put into their pockets right away. The command mentions only the relief for disabled veterans, but the blanket bonus is the real driving force.

Apart from the question of the wisdom or the justice of the bonus itself, this demand smacks of the typical Legion attitude. Fortunately, the factional splits in the Senate and House will probably prevent the bill from going through, despite the tremendous, but undisciplined, power of the military organization. Flag waving and war records count for nothing when such an attempt is made to raid the treasury.