EDWARD CHANNING

Few men have displayed an much loyalty to Harvard as Edward Channing. His nearly fifty years of teaching at the University identifies him as one who represented the essence of the Harvard spirit. His distinguished heritage and accomplishments as an historian are reasons for his fame in the public eye, but those closer to him will feel the loss of a man of great natural charm as well as of one who was a gifted scholar and teacher.

Professor Channing's most important work was done in the field of American History in which his volumes are considered as classics. The recognition of the excellence and comprehensive scope of his six volume series was accorded him in 1925 by the Pulitzer prize committee. Most schoolboys are familiar with his students' histories and college students are certain to use his more advanced texts in American History. Professor Channing's substantial contributions to history will not soon be forgotten nor will the memory of the man himself soon become dim among his associates.