SCHOOL OF DRAMA WILL MAKE FIRST BOW JAN. 16

SEVERAL STAGES, NO CURTAIN, AMONG UNUSUAL FEATURES

Work on remodeling of the Rogers Building for the use of the Cambridge School of the Drama is now nearing completion, with the first play to be given by the School scheduled for Friday, January 16, and Saturday, January 17. The play will be "Honey Holler", by Keith Mackaye '23, produced next week for the first time upon any stage.

Three sides of the octagonal interior of the building have been converted to a series of inner stages, fronted by a large fore-stage, following the design of Albert Lovejoy, director of the School, and his associate, A. P. Segal. The inner stages, each with a 16-foot opening, and the forestage, 45 feet wide, permit both a simplicity of mechanical arrangement, and an almost unlimited adaptability to the varied nature of dramatic production.

A radical step has been taken in the removal of the usual curtain, a haze of light thrown from the extremities of the stage providing the necessary separation from the audience. These lights will be directed from a control-box in the balcony which has been erected at the rear of the theatre behind the audience, an arrangement so far unique in the history of the stage.

The School will keep open house from 2 until 6 o'clock next Monday, January 12, for all those who wish to inspect the new theatre. The performances at the end of the coming week are to be attended only by members of the School and their guests, since an absence of the necessary precautions against fire make a public presentation impossible. The building has been leased from the City of Cambridge for a limited period of time, which makes any permanent fire equipment a poor investment.