DEBATE COUNCIL TO HOLD TRIALS

Candidates to Give Three Minute Talks on President's Proposal--Houses to Have Discussion Groups

Fall trials for the Harvard University Debating Council will be held on Thursday evening at a place to be announced later in the CRIMSON, it was announced last evening by R. B. Eckles '32, president. Candidates will be required to give a three minute speech on Hoover's recent proposal for a $500,000,000 credit organization. The judges will be J. M. Swigert '29, coach, E. M. Rowe '27, coach, and F. C. Packard '20, assistant professor of public speaking. Candidates will be judged on their delivery rather than on the subject matter of the speech.

According to the present plans, the club program this year will center about activity in the houses. It is hoped that the various house committees will work in conjunction with the debating council and arrange a series of informal discussions, at least one of which will be held in each house. These discussions will be open primarily to the members of the house in which they are held, but any other members of the University who are interested in the topic under consideration may attend. Political and industrial problems of the day will be brought up at the meetings, and it is planned to secure the services of men prominent in these fields to lead the discussions.

Formal debates will take place as usual, but no definite schedule has been mapped out as yet. Try-outs will be held before each of these debates and will be open to any member of the University whether or not he is on the regular squad.

The University debating team is expected to be unusually strong this year since it did not lose many important members by graduation. Last year was one of the Council's most successful years and the prospects for this season look equally bright.