"THE STAR WITNESS"

Francis Starr and Grant Mitchell Render sincere interpretation in play of medlocre plot

By J. C. R.

"The Star Witness", one half the bill which is being shown at the University, is a film which owes its merit to the sincerity of the acting, rather than to any excellences of plot. It is the story of a family who became enmeshed in the toils of a gang because they have been the only witnesses to a murder committed in front of their home.

The murderer is brought to trial, and the gang's efforts to prevent the Leeds family from testifying takes the form of physical coercion. When the father refuses to be bribed into silence, his child is held hostage. To save the life of the young boy the entire family decide to withhold its knowledge of the killing, that is, all but the inordinately chauvinitsic grandfather, relic of Bull Run, who refuses to be intimidated by a "bunch of yellow-bellied foreigners". At the climax the child is rescued, and the Civil War veteran gives the testimony that sends the killer to the chair.

In his effort to show how innocent by-standers can be drawn into criminal proceedings, the director achieved a picture of family life which was undeniably real. Frances Starr and Grant Mitchell portray the parents with a naturalness which is extremely gratifying. The acting of Miss Starr where she is frantic for the welfare of her family deserves nothing but praise, and whereas Charles (Chic) Sales, who specialized as the grandfather, was guilty of exaggeration, Walter Huston played the prosecutor with more feeling than is usual in the case of screenland officials. "The Star Witness", in spite of occasional lapses, is sincere, pleasing entertainment.