LARGE NUMBER ENTERS P. B. H. SOCIAL SERVICE

NEW MEN CAN ENROLL AT BROOKS HOUSE DURING DAY

Social service work at Phillips Brooks House has attracted a total of 120 men, it was announced yesterday. Of the 200 men interviewed, 84 are now doing work, and 35 more men have signified their desire to participate when present examinational troubles are over. R. T. Souter '34, chairman of the Social Service committee, released these figures last evening, and added that there is still opportunity for men of all classes to see him at Brooks House during the day if they are interested in the work.

Harvard men offering to assist with a small amount of their time in this work are sent to various settlement houses in Boston, where they prepare adult foreign persons to take out citizenship papers. Work with youths in these houses consists in directing boys between the ages of 12 and 18 in basketball, debating, camping, woodworking, and handicraft. The settlement work is done in the following places: Lincoln House, Denison House, South End House, Ellis Memorial, Roxbury Neighborhood House, North Bennett Street Industrial School, North End Union, Elizabeth Peabody House, and the Cambridge Y. M. C. A.

The settlement houses this year have cooperated in a helpful way with the work of Brooks House by sending to Cambridge representatives to find out what problems await solution. This kind of work for Harvard undergraduates is one for which there is a constant demand, according to Souter, who is filling the gaps with some of the volunteers who offer to help.

The following men are acting as his assistants in directing the work this year: Gordon Streeter '33, J. H. Crandon '33, J. M. Estabrook '34, Frederick Webster '35, and L. O. Paul '32.