FRESHMEN TO HAVE CHANGES AT UNION

Old Faculty Room Made into History and Government Reading Room--464 Used Room Sunday

Among the innovations at the Union in the Freshman dining room is a table at which only French is spoken, and which is served by a French waitress. Every evening one table is reserved exclusively for those who would like to converse in French, and under the supervision of Dr. Marcel Francon, the experiment has become very popular. A German table, also, has been organized by Reginald Phelps on the same basis, and is meeting twice a week at noon time, in the small dining room.

The former dining room of the Union is now filled with six long tables and 17 small ones, the old Living Room houses 27 of the old Freshman dormitory tables, and the rotunda, where smoking is allowed, contains 20. In order to accomodate the Freshman Class, the East hallway was added to the kitchen, counters from which helpings are served put in, and two endless chain dumbwaiters installed to carry trays of dishes down to the basement, where they are put on belts and run through spraying machines, and steam chambers.

All the food, except some desserts, and pics, which are baked at the College bakery, in Eliot House, is cooked and prepared in the building, for which purpose there are several large ranges in the kitchen, storerooms, and seven refrigerators in the basement.

Upstairs, the old faculty room has been turned into a History and Government 1 reading room, which was used by an average of 155 men a day last week, the peak being reached on Sunday, when 464 were counted. From now on Freshmen will be allowed to take books out and use them in other parts of the building. The old Union library of about 1,000 volumes is still intact, and has been increased by the English A library.