Harvard Favored as Texans Prepare to Pass, Pound Line

Conference Hopes Gone, Texas Will Give Its All--Brilliant Aerial Attacks Looked for

Before a crowd of 45,000 in the stadium today at 2 o'clock a shattered Harvard team will face an unknown quantity in the form of the Texas Longhorns. Weakened by its recent game with the Army, the Crimson eleven enters this afternoon's contest minus four members of its regular forward wall, and yet is favored to win over the visiting Westeners.

Today's results will depend largely on the way in which Cunningham, Talbot, Bancroft, and Nazro replace the regular linemen who are out with injuries. Texas will direct strong pressure against the new center part of the Crimson lineup.

Surprises Expected

The Longhorn's big game of the year comes this afternoon, one in which they hope to cover themselves and the Southwest Conference with glory, and it is expected that the Texans will uncork a number of surprises for the benefit of their Crimson antagonists. Coach Littlefield last year produced his prize team chiefly by extraordinary development of forward passing and a series of bewildering backfield plays. During the past few weeks Harvard players have been thoroughly drilled in defense against forward passing, and should not be caught napping today.

Despite their poor record this year, the Longhorns in their short workout yesterday looked big, smooth-working, and potentially powerful. Containing practically all the members of last year's superb team, the present Texan eleven has dismally failed to equal its predecessor. Following an easy victory over Missouri, the Longhorns were upset in their next game with Rice, and recovered in time for a bare win over Oklahoma last week.

Giving All They Have

If Harvard is weakened by injuries, the Westerners will have suffered considerably in their long train journey to the East. With practically all hope of winning the Southwest Conference gone after the defeat by Rice, Coach Littlefield kept several of his best men out of last Saturday's contest with Oklahoma, and will certainly throw all the material he has into today's struggle.

In the Longhorn backfield Key and Stafford will cause the Crimson defense considerable trouble, while Captain Baumgrten and Cook in the guard positions are bulwarks of strength. There is a possibility that Furrh may start at one of the end positions for the Texans, but otherwise the lineups should remain unchanged.

Today's game will serve as a thorough test of Coach Casey's new regime, for if a Crimson team injured as badly as the present one can put on a really good showing, certainly no less can be expected of a full-strength lineup.