NAME TEN MEMBERS OF FIRST FRESHMAN 'UNION COMMITTEE'

New Committee Supersedes Old Groups From Dormitories -- Will Arrange Dances, Concerts, Smokers

The names of members of the First Freshman Union Committee, which this year supersedes the old Freshman Dormitory Committees, were disclosed yesterday by Robert Saltonstall, Jr.'33, chairman of the Student Council committee on Freshman affairs. The Union Committee is composed of one man from each of the larger halls and two others who are distributed among the smaller dormitories.

The ten members of the newly appointed committee, together with their preparatory schools and the dormitory which each represents, are as follows: Donald Brayton Bates of Ely, Nevada (White Pine County High) for Hollis and Stoughton; Robert Remington Borden., Jr. of Fall River (Middlesex) for Wigglesworth Halls; Ebenezer Francis Bowditch of Larchmont, N. Y. (Milton) for Massachusetts; Thomas Lynde Dammann of Winnetka, Ill. (North Shore Country Day) for Lionel and Mower; Harry Alan Gregg, Jr. of Nashua, N. H. (Exeter) for Weld; Charles King Howard of Concord (Andover) for Straus; Randolph Appleton Kidder of Andover (Noble and Greenough) for Holworthy; David Ralph Martin, Jr. of Austin, Minnesota (Central High) for Matthews; Chalmers Edward Sweeney of Boston (Boston Latin) for Thayer; William Keblinger Wyant, Jr. of Atlanta, Georgia (Boys' High School) for Grays.

The change from the Freshman Dormitory Committees is a direct result of the removal of the Freshmen to the Yard and is considered better adapted to the present arrangement. With the 1935 men eating together at the Union and having their recreation in the same building, there is naturally more of a common feeling than was possible in former years. Furthermore, there is no clear-cut division into units such as obtained among the Freshman Halls and such as now prevails among the upperclassmen.

The functions of the Union Committee will be substantially those of its predecessors together with new duties connected with the Union. In addition to arranging for dances, concerts, and smokers, it will act as an intermediary between the Freshman class and the secretary of the Union and Freshman deans, receiving suggestions and complaints.

Is An Experiment

Since the committee is somewhat of an experiment, however, plans for the position it will occupy are still in a formative state. In general, it will work with the officials of the Union in adopting the organization of the Freshman class to its new environment. It will not interfere with the appointment of the regular committees later on in the year.