"Kellog-Briand Peace Pact Will be Worthless if the United States Does Not Enforce it," Says Professor L. C. Porter

"The United States and the other signatories of the Kellog-Briand Pact must bring pressure to bear on China and Japan immediately, or else the Kellog Pact will be disgraced and rendered worthless by the fighting that is going on between the two countries, both of which are signatories of the pact," declared Professor L. C. Porter of the Chinese Department, in an interview yesterday." The present activities in Manchuria are the first instances of two countries fighting that signed the pact.

"The League of Nations, to be sure, has tried to interfere, but in such a mild fashion that it seems probable that the League is afraid of lowering the prestige of the Liberal-Democratic party which is now in power in Japan by giving too many orders, and thereby not giving Japan enough time to assert its own authority in Manchuria." This party, however, Professor Porter believes, will find it difficult to step the activities of the Japanese soldiers in Manchuria because the military operations there are being conducted by General Tanaka, who is leader of the old militaristic party that was overthrown in the 1928 elections by the present Liberal-Democrats.

"The issue, then," he continued, "is not between China and Japan, as it seems, but between the militaristic and liberal parties of Japan alone, the militarists hoping to discredit and annoy the liberals by stirring up trouble with a foreign nation." Proof of this is shown by the fact that Cheng Haseuh-Tiang, vice-commander-in-chief of the army of China, from the first clash with the Japanese, made every effort to get out of fighting, ordered the troops to remain in the barracks, and tried to avoid trouble as much as was possible, relying on the League of Nations to interfere.

"Relations between China and Japan are in reality very good," Professor Porter declared, "and just this summer the prime minister and government were willing to make apologies to the Chinese about a spy that had been captured. Since then, however, the Japanese army in Manchuria has seized every opportunity to irritate the Chinese, and if possible to get them into a fight."