NELSON DOCUMENTS ARE ON EXHIBIT AT WIDENER

Personal and Private Letters of Great British Admiral Shown -- Contain Many Interesting Facts

An exhibition of letters and documents bearing on the public and private life of Lord Nelson is to be seen at present in the Treasure Room of the Harvard College Library. The letters cover a wide variety of subjects, ranging from orders concerning battle formations to select portions of his correspondence with Lady Hamilton. Among the most interesting things in the collection are the letters to prominent persons of Nelson's time in England and elsewhere.

A rather unusual feature of the exhibit is an epistle from Nelson to Lord Hamilton, written with its author's right hand after he had lost his left arm in the battle of the Nile. In another of the letters Nelson refers to his famous words. "England expects every man to do his duty."

A third is to Lady Hamilton concerning their daughter Horatia. The Library has in its possession a large part of the original correspondence between Nelson and his mistress but the bulk of it is not being exhibited at this time as it was felt that it might detract from the interest of the other documents.

The entire collection fills all the cases in the Treasure Room except the one which is reserved throughout the year for the college charter and related documents. Most of the Nelson papers have to do with the Admiral's official life and especially with some of his more famous engagements at sea.